Through Children & Families of Iowa’s Friend of the Family Program, you have an opportunity to re-gift some of your holiday presents that will have lasting value to the at-risk families, children and individuals served by Children and Families of Iowa's Family Violence Center!
Through Children & Families of Iowa’s Friend of the Family Program, you have an opportunity to make special gifts to the agency that will have lasting value to the at-risk families, children and individuals they serve. The clients at the Family Violence Center have a wide variety of special needs that you can help them meet. Please give what you can!
The Family Violence Center provides emergency safe shelter for victims of domestic violence and their children. Clients who are in immediate danger and who have on-going safety concerns are provided emergency shelter. Individual and group counseling, including children’s groups, are available for residents. Clients are referred to community resources such as legal aid, law enforcement, housing, job development and social services. Court advocacy is also available for shelter residents.
Find out more at the Children and Families of Iowa website:
Mars Cafe is currently collecting items for The Family Violence Center to place under our tree and deliver to the them on Friday, January 19th... This is a perfect opportunity to donate, or re-gift, some of your holiday presents to those in need! You may even take the opportunity to use some of the gift cards you received from retail stores to give to those in need at the Family Violence Center!
The Family Violence Center has offered us a list of gifts and personal care items most often needed by the families they serve (see below). Please bring them in to Mars Cafe, where they will be on display under our tree until they will be delivered on Friday, January 19th.
Here is a list of items the Family Violence Center is seeking:
• Travel Vouchers: Many of the clients at the Family Violence Center do not have cars or access to other forms of reliable transportation. For these clients, the Family Violence Center offers bus tokens and cab coupons to travel to the shelter, work, doctor appointments and other appointments. In addition, many clients need to escape to a safer city or state and the Family Violence Center uses Greyhound buses when they cannot use their own transportation. Bus tokens can be purchased at Hy- Vee stores and cab coupons can be purchased by calling local cab companies. Greyhound Bus travel vouchers can be purchased at Greyhound facilities. The Family Violence Center also needs suitcases (gently used or new) for clients to store their clothes and personal items, as well as for clients to use when they move out of shelter.
• Personal Care Items: Many of our clients come to us with nothing but the clothes on their back. They need personal care items such as shampoo, deodorant, toothbrushes and toothpaste, hairbrushes, tampons and pads, soap and Kleenex. We also accept beauty items such as hair clips and ties, nail polish and polish remover, make-up, perfume hair dryers and curling irons and lotion. New and full- size (no trial-size) items only, please.
• Clothing: The center accepts most clothing items. Of particular need are new underwear and socks, pajamas, sweatpants, hats and mittens, new sports bras and women’s clothing (especially large sizes).
• Linens: A warm, comfortable bed, fresh towels and washcloths are essential in creating a healing environment at the Family Violence Center. You can help by donating new or gently-used twin sheet sets, blankets and comforters, pillows and pillow cases, bath towels, hand towels and washcloths. Our clients can also use robes, slippers and slip-on shower shoes.
• Baby Items: Many clients need diapers (especially large and extra-large), pull-ups, onesies/body suits, wet-wipes, diaper rash ointments, bottles, sippy- cups, formula, baby food, Pedialyte, teething rings, baby swings, walkers and car seats for babies or young children.
• School Supplies: The children at the Family Violence Center always need school supplies, including back packs, paper, notebooks, pencils, pens, markers, crayons, glue and scissors.
• Toys: The Family Violence Center can always use new toys for children of all ages. These include books for all age-levels, over-sized toys, board games, blocks, blow-up furniture, wagons and other ride-on toys, dolls and balls. Sorry- we cannot accept stuffed toys!
• Teens: The teens at the Family Violence Center have many age-specific needs. This includes backpacks and purses, popular music cds, cd players (with earphones), footballs and basketballs, hair accessories, sport jerseys, hand-held video games, teen comforters and new clothing.
• Other Items: Most of the items you use to get through your day are needed at the Family Violence Center. This includes miscellaneous items such as umbrellas, alarm clocks, books, board games and cards.
Please forward this message on to as many people as you can!
Thank you for helping us help our community! Happy Holidays from everyone at Mars Cafe!
Your Friends at Mars Cafe
Mars Cafe is a family owned coffee shop in the Drake Neighborhood of Des Moines. It serves up awesome fair trade and organic coffee, and tons of wines and beers from around the world... mostly stuff you've never heard of, but should know. It also has been known to give high-fives to people in public for no apparent reason.